ADA Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions
There are several ways to obtain a Reasonable Modification request form:
- Fill out an online form at OCTA.net
- Send an email to ADAInquiry@octa.net
- Send a request to: Federal Compliance Officer, P.O. Box 14184, Orange, CA 92863
- Call the Federal Compliance Officer at (800) 636-RIDE (7433).
Requests are reviewed to determine if the reasonable modification/accommodation provides use or access to OCTA’s transit services that the requestor otherwise would not have. OCTA’s focus is on accessibility, as distinct from convenience.
The DOT has prescribed four types of requests for modification/accommodation.
Requests may be declined if:
- It fundamentally alters the nature of the service, program or activity
- It creates a direct threat to the health or safety of others
- It results in undue financial and administrative burden
- The requestor would still be able to fully use the service provided by OCTA without the modification.
Here are some examples of accommodations that can be made for customers with disabilities:
- Customer request for partial wheelchair securement
- Customer request to use lap and shoulder belt without wheelchair securement
- Customers requiring self-medication while in transit or at an event; this includes administering insulin or conducting a finger stick blood test
- Customers requiring food related to medical conditions, such as a person with diabetes needing a high-sugar snack or covered drink to control low blood sugar
- Customer request to stop ahead of or behind a bus stop due to an obstruction (such as a parked car) or construction, when it is safe to do so, for either boarding or exiting a bus
- Customer request for a convenience stop due to lack of curb cuts or accessible path of travel
Here are some examples of accommodations that will be denied:
- Customer flagging a bus to pick up in-between bus stops
- Customer request for bus operator to perform personal care attendant functions
- Boarding a customer whose service animal is not under control
- Boarding a customer whose wheelchair is being used to transport only possessions
Additional Contact Information:
Federal Transit Administration (FTA) – (202) 366-4043
Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM and 5:00 PM EDT, excluding Federal Holidays.
Department of Transportation (DOT) General Information – (855) 368-4200
Main Switchboard is available Monday through Friday (excluding Federal Holidays)
8:00 AM to 5:30 PM EDT (5:00 AM to 2:30 PM PDT)
U.S. Department of Transportation
Federal Transit Administration, East Building
1200 New Jersey Ave., SE, Washington, DC 20590
TTY: 1 (800) 877-8339
Voice: 1 (866) 377-8642
VCO: 1 (877) 877-6280