Your safety is important to us!
You can feel secure in knowing that OCTA takes your safety seriously. Our coach operators are carefully trained on how to be safe while driving as well as to keep an eye on your comfort and safety both on board the bus and at bus stops. However it does take two! We rely on our passengers to be safe around our buses and while they are riding. Here are some good safety practices that will ensure you get to your destination safely.
Waiting for the bus
- Buses stop at designated bus stops only, never run after or next to a bus.
- Wait on the sidewalk away from the curb, not in or near the street.
- Don’t play near buses, pushing and shoving can cause accidents.
- Hold on to your child when a bus approaches.
- If traveling with a baby stroller, please remove the child and fold the stroller before boarding the bus.
- Wait for the vehicle to stop before approaching to board.
Boarding the Bus
- Wait for the bus to stop completely before approaching to board or when exiting.
- When using bike racks, always stay in view of the bus operator and wait for the bus to come to a complete stop before preparing to load your bike.
- Bring all your items with you when you board. Passengers are not permitted to get on/off the bus multiple times to load personal belongings.
- Watch your step as you board, especially at night or in wet weather.
- Take a seat quickly, if possible, and use handrails/handholds for security as you walk on board. The bus may move before you are seated. Always hold on and be prepared.
- Sit down when a seat is available. Do not remain standing. If standing, always hold on.
- If using a wheelchair, always allow the bus operator to secure your wheelchair.
Riding the bus
- Do not stand or sit in the stairwells.
- Keep all parts of your body inside the bus.
- Stay behind the yellow line at the front of the bus while the bus is moving.
- Do not distract to the driver while the bus is moving, they need to pay attention to driving to keep you safe.
- All packages, strollers and carts must be kept out of the aisles for everyone’s safety.
- Be familiar with all emergency exits, including windows and ceiling hatches.
- If you see a spill or debris on the floor, let the coach operator know at the next stop.
- Riders are limited to two small carry-on items that must fit on lap or under seat.
- Carts cannot exceed 30” tall, 18” wide and 18” deep (not including wheels and handle).
- Carts cannot contain loads that exceed the height or capacity of the cart.
- Carry-on items cannot hang off the exterior of carts or wheelchairs.
- Carts, strollers, and carry-ons cannot block aisles, any doors or take seats.
- Carts, strollers, and carry-ons must be loaded in a single trip without assistance.
- No items that are wet, leaking, or considered hazardous will be allowed.
- No large bags of recycled cans or other materials will be allowed.
- Carts, strollers, and carry-ons must be attended and held firmly at all times.
- Carry-on items must stay off wheel wells unless attended and held at all times.
- Passengers with strollers must remove child, collapse the stroller and stay seated with children in their laps at all times.
Help keep our buses safe and clean!
It takes a team to make sure our buses remain clean and free of graffiti. Our toll-free tip line allows you to play a role in keeping things clean. If you see somebody causing damage of any kind to the interior of an OCTA bus never take the law into your own hands. Instead, please do one of the following:
- Alert the coach operator, only when the bus has come to a stop
- Call toll free at 877-99-NO TAG / 877-996-6824